DISCLOSURE: THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. WHICH MEANS IF YOU MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH THEM I GET A COMMISSION AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU.Jump to Recipe
I grew up in a big family, one where all 5 of us kids had big appetites. We ate a lot of fast meals. Okay we ate a lot of cheep meals like hot dogs, fish sticks, Kraft dinner and occasionally we had lasagna.
It’s no wonder that all of us have a favorite meal and it just happens to be lasagna for all of us. This was not a very cheep meal but it wasn’t expensive either.
I make lasagna from time to time now as an adult. Still one of my favorites. In my attempt to eat less pasta, gluten or trade regular pasta for healthier options, I have tried zucchini noodles, gluten free pasta and blue menu or whole wheat pasta. I do love zucchini noodles, can handle gluten free pasta however my family does NOT like any of these.
Healthy lasagna noodles just don’t taste good! So I started using whole wheat pasta or blue menu pasta in pasta dishes. This is how I came up with this Easy Baked Pasta, that tastes like lasagna but with healthier pasta.
Easy Baked Pasta
- large frying pan or large pot
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 1.5 lbs Ground-beef
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 container Cottage cheese
- 2 jars Pasta sauce
- 1 tsp Tex-Mex seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 3 cups Penne pasta
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees Chop onion and brown in frying panAdd in the ground-beef and cook until no longer pinkAdd in the seasonings: Tex-Mex, oregano, thyme, garlic and chili powderAdd in the 2 jars of pasta sauce ( I like to use 1 Ragu and 1 Classico)
- Mean while boil the penne pasta until cookedDrain pasta
- Place 1/3 of the cooked pasta into the baking panAdd 4 good scoops of meat sauce on top of pasta Sprinkle a little cheddar cheese on top and mix wellSpoon out the cottage cheese on top of the pasta with meat sauceLayer another 1/3 of the pasta with meat sauce on top of cottage cheese without stirring it inSprinkle more cheese on top (saving the rest for the top)Layer the rest of the pasta and meat sauce on topFollowed by the remaining cheddar cheeseBake in oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and done. Let cool 5 minutes and cut than serve 🙂
I believe YOU will love this recipe! Let me know when you try it and what you think of it?